What is Twitter?
Twitter is an online social networking and microblogging service that enables its users to send and read text-based posts of up to 140 characters, informally known as “tweets.”
Twitters was launched in 2006 by a gentlemen named Jack Dorsey. It rapidly gained worldwide popularity.
- Has 200 million users as of 2011
- Generates over 200 million tweets
- Handles over 1.6 billion search queries per day
- Is commonly described as the “SMS (Short Message Service) of the Internet”
- Estimated revenues were $140 million in 2010
- Companies that use Twitter average 2X more leads/month than those that do not.
- B2C (business to consumer companies with >100 followers have 146% more leads/month than those with <100.
- More than 1/3 of marketers say Twitter is “Critical” or “Important” to their business.
Learn what a #hashtag is on our blogLearnabout #hashtags